Friday 27 July 2012

Thursday, July 19th, Swynnerton to Great Haywood, 13 miles

What freedom it is to set out from home to reach a distant destination entirely under your own steam!  But first, I had an appointment with 2SW founder David Pott. I'd arranged to meet him at the Darlaston Inn at Meaford, or rather its Wacky Warehouse playbarn, the pub not being open at that early hour. The Duty Manageress was amazed to learn that her establishment was now on a pilgrimage route, but keen to find out more about her historic hostelry. David commiserated with me about the rainy conditions, but I assured him they weren't dampening my spirits.

Then hastily on to Stone, where I found my walking companion for the day, Dorothy from Stone Ramblers, sheltering near  Star Lock.  First we called in at St Michael's and St Wulfad's, where tea and coffee were on offer following Morning Communion.  We said hello to Rector Ian Cardinal, then paid a visit to the Stone Priory Seal (both featured in episode 5 of  the ITV series "Britain's Secret Treasures" the following day). In the churchyard, we admired the colourful, if windblown wildflower beds awaiting their day of judgement for Stone in Bloom.

The weather continued showery, so when we reached the delightful village of Burston, we ate our sandwiches in St Rufin's chapel, where Dorothy discovered that her July 24th birthday was also St Rufin's day!  Then back to the canal and on through Sandon, Weston and Hixon, where the towpath is enhanced with information boards and benches. I was especially glad of these, the sight of a kingfisher and Dorothy's company, to relieve this rural but rather unrelieved trudge. (The 2SW leaves the canal near Salt to go up to Hopton, Stafford and Milford for Cannock Chase but because of accommodation constraints, my destination was Great Haywood instead.)


We arrived there at 4 pm and over tea in the beer garden of the Clifford Arms, I phoned to confirm my room at High Meadows Guest House, a handsome villa in the Arts and Crafts style most sympathetically furnished by owner Julie Carrington, who had set out an airer for our sodden clothes!

Dorothy came up with me to my room, where we had a shower, a change and a rest before the ever-supportive Simon arrived (by car) from Swynnerton to take us for a meal at the Wolesley Arms, about 10 minutes away.  After a convivial evening, Simon drove Dorothy home to Stone, leaving me to my William Morris room. But despite its comfortable bed, I was far too excited about next day's challenges to sleep much.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your blog-is there more?-and particularly the encounters-planned and unplanned with people on the way. Is there really a poor child called Werburgh? I am so sorry not to have been able to do that stretch with you. We had some exciting and interesting encounters too-a coachload of Swedish tourists in a tiny village-where Midsommer Murders is filmed-who were on a Murder Mystery holiday, a team of bell ringers ringing in a Cambridgeshire church where I sheltered from the rain and lovely tea and scones in the Grantchester tearooms with cousin Jo who drove me to Cambridge station. Don't feel bad about taking lifts or deviating from the route to accommodation. Will you put this account in the newsletter-you should

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete