Saturday 4 August 2012

Sunday July 15th, Chester to Acton, 19 miles

We had sunshine all day from when Simon and I pulled our boots on in Rodney and Sue's charming front garden and headed off at 9.15 for  Hoole Lane bridge over the Shropshire Union Canal. Dog walkers, joggers and cyclists  gave us friendly greetings on the towpath as we headed out of the city towards Christleton.  After Waverton, the towpath got less crowded but harder going, being grassy and partially overgrown. About 7 miles along, just before Tattenhall marina, we picnicked on the grassy slope of a bridge, then fondly parted company - Simon  to walk back to Chester, to pick up the car and return home.

After an hour of thirsty tramping, I was glad to stop at the Shady Oak canalside pub for a lemon and lime in their  garden with a view up to Beeston Castle. The castle is one of the 2SW's points of interest, but I had no time to make the detour - though the castle, perched on a cliff top and reached by a dramatically curving footbridge, is definitely worth a visit.

On I went through Tiverton with its iron, then stone locks, Tilstone and Bunbury, the finishing point of our one and only family canal cruising holiday some years ago.  We found canal cruising  anything but restful and I much prefer to be beside canals than on them!

At Wardle, it was brought home to me how much the canal is a different world even when, as here, it runs through an industrial area right beside a main road, the A51. Just yards away from factories and a filling station, I came upon  a narrowboat bedecked with peg rugs fon sale, then a mother cradling a baby with its Moses basket beside her.  Simon and I were texting each other our progress and I texted him again on reaching the junction with the Llangollen Canal at Hurleston at about 4.30, where I was cheered to find my second 2SW marker!

Shortly before 6pm, I spotted the church tower at Acton, the point where I had to take a field path from the canal to reach my night's lodgings at Henhull Hall Farm.  Then to my surprise, who should appear on the towpath before me - but Simon!  He had made good time to Chester, was driving back in the same direction as me but didn't want to go home yet as the evening was so fine.

I was delighted to see him, and willingly let him lead me to the Star pub near Acton Church,  for a most welcome cuppa.  Then I phoned my friend Pauline in Nantwich, who was kindly offering me dinner that night, to tell her that she needn't fetch me from Henhull Hall Farm, as Simon would be able to drop me off.  Pauline being the extremely generous person she is, she invited Simon to dinner too!

Joyce, my landlady at Henhull Hall Farm,
has display of artefacts discovered by
metal detectorists on her farmland, the site
 of the Civil War Battle of Nantwich in 1643
Simon then drove me round to Henhull Hall Farm, a large and beautifully appointed Cheshire Dairy Farm where my hostess Joyce welcomed us and ushered us into my most comfortable quarters (including a private sitting room with a fine view across the fields to Nantwich parish church).

After I'd had a shower and brush-up, Simon drove us to Pauline's where we shared a delicious meal of gammon in cheese sauce, new potatoes and salad with her friend Ray, daughter Gwen and granddaughter Chloe (3).  Like me, Pauline teaches German for the Open University, but unlike me, has brought her offspring up bi-lingually. Little Chloe, who sat beside me at table is becoming bi-lingual too, and I read her a German story.

After a wonderfully animated evening, Simon returned me to Henhull Hall Farm, where we parted company for real and I enjoyed an excellent night's sleep in a comfy bed.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Christine

    Have nearly marked all assignments, so had time to read this!
    Thanks for your generous comments! Was a pleasure to have you!
    Seit dem Besuch beim Opa spricht Chloe immer mehr Deutsch!
    See you on the 16th, with Ray.
    best regards to you and Simon.
    Pauline, Gwen, Chloe, Ray and Peg

    ReplyDelete